Call us for a free quote on +94 11 7652 400 or contact us online
A pest deterrent guide for homeowners
Pest infestation can lead to serious problems such as structural damages to the home and health consequences to you and your loved ones. At Rentokil, we’ve been collecting insights on how best we can help you reduce pest recurrence with easy practices you can apply. Plus if you already have routine pest control treatment, this tips will help prolong the efficacy of the treatment.
Your home is always vulnerable to the numerous threats from pests. Follow these 8 easy practices to keep your home pest-free.
1. Wait at least 3-4 hours after treatments are carried out before mopping/wiping the floor/ surface that is treated. Try not to use harsh chemicals to wipe it off
2. Make sure that all food are stored in air-tight containers as pests like ants and cockroaches are attracted to food and water sources
3. Don’t tempt pest by leaving food crumbs/ scraps on your kitchen countertop, bin and floor, clean these every day. Also don’t leave dirty cutleries and dishes in your sink, they are food source!
4. Keep trash in rubbish bins with fitted lids and make sure that all rubbish are discarded daily to prevent pests from being attracted to the foul odour
5. Cardboard boxes attract cockroaches and termites. Using containers made of plastic, glass and metal with tight fitting lids stops them from breeding. You can always re-use the containers afterwards
6. Cockroaches and termites love moisture. Remember to spot and remove any stagnant water and fix leakages. Also discard empty cans, bottles that can collect water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding
7. Keep tree branches well-trimmed and away from the house as crawling pests like ants, cockroaches and snakes can crawl into the house via the branches
8. Seal any cracks and openings. Rats and other small pest can enter your house through these openings
If you are living at high risk termite area, get a professional termite expert to check for signs of termite infestation such as mud trails, cracked or bubbling paint and wood that sounds hollow when tapped. Alternatively you can reach us at +94 11 7652 400 to schedule an inspection or contact Rentokil Sri Lanka online here.